Monday, September 16, 2013

6 days with iOS 7

I jumped into the iOS7 bandwagon as soon as the goldfinger Gold Master version was announced. Here's what I realized about it in the past 6 days. I installed the Gold Master Build on a 2 year old iPhone 4S doing the same thing that I do everyday.

the good

I liked the interface. better transition/animation flow, better folder management of apps and more intuitive way of dismissing apps running in the background. Though I dare say that they stole this idea from Palm's WebOS (just like how android stole this from palm as well).

I also liked iTunes radio believe it or not, so goodbye pandora.

The camera software takes the cake on this upgrade. Fast, intuitive and very usable. Did I say fast? It can take a picture as fast as your fingers can press the shutter.

Though I have a few peeves which i'll be complaining about later on but i do like the changes in the camera software as a whole.

Slipstreamed auto app updates. No more pressing the "update all" button. Believe me this is a good thing and a bad thing altogether. 

the bad

The upgrade path that I took made me lose all my apps and my recent backup wasn't honored by iTunes Beta (boo!)

There are some apps that don't support their own built-in auth credentials. Looking at you Vimeo and Flickr.

Camera macro is annoying, it doesn't stay focused but adjust automatically to where I didn't want the focus to be in. 

The settings cog icon has got to be the ugliest among the bunch. 

the ugly

memory leaks! if you don't reset your phone at the beginning of the day, phone behavior gets funky.

seemingly random app crashes for apps that work in the beginning of the day but progressively got worse as the day goes by (see memory leaks)

phone suddenly turns off even at > 40% battery (suspect memory exception from a memory leak)

battery life is horrendous compared to iOS6. too many background apps will suck your battery dry.

this OS is definitely not designed with the 4S hardware specs in mind. When I use google maps as my GPS, i lose battery charge despite being power tethered. power in is definitely less than the power being drawn out when you have Location Services + Cellular Data + Phone Screen in full brightness.

verdict: it's a good upgrade. but in all things that define mobile electronics, your battery is king. in the case of my 2 year old iPhone 4S, i think of it as an evangelion robot that needs a power umbilical cord tethered on my phone so it can be as awesome as it was intended.

caveat: as in any iOS upgrade, there is no turning back. unless you use some root magic, which i'm not quite inclined to do. there's a reason why android phones are the newest virus friendly phones in the market and i just don't want to go there.

No comments: